Saturday, January 06, 2007

I'll take the survey, but I'm not quitting my job

Starting to feel like a real-life edublogger. I just took this blogging survey at Dangerously Irrelevant. If you haven't heard of it already, it's a completely unscientific survey for all edubloggers, the results of which will be published Jan. 17 at that site. But hurry, only those who take the survey by Jan. 14 will be included in the results.

Some thoughts on the survey. First, I have to give credit to Adventures in Edublogging where I first heard of the survey. Second, I had real difficulty with the first question of the survey. It asked if I could make a living blogging, would I. The problem is, my blogging is all about what I do for a living. Without those 80 teenagers who show up in my class every day, I would have little to share. How else could I explore the use of blogging to promote student thinking? Or struggle with the best way to fully understand and grow comfortable with using a wiki to support student writing? Without a job, could I undertake a professional challenge to create an honors option component of a heterogeneously grouped English class? Using a wiki, no less.

So just in case anyone is thinking of putting together an attractive offer. The answer is: No thanks. I'll stick with my day job.

No comments: